Any advice on choosing colleges?

Home Forums Choosing a College Any advice on choosing colleges?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Guan
    Keymaster
    This could turn into a meaningful mega-thread. Come and discuss!

This post has received 2 votes up.
    Tommy Jones
    Participant
    I think some advice on choosing college is to focus on the overall fit and style of the university as opposed to the ranking. If you are going to be at a school for an extended period of time (4+ years) then it makes sense to select a university that is great for you to continue post-college, as opposed to moving and having to find a new network as well. I believe fit matters over ranking, in any case because college is a time to explore and if you are in a scenario that requires you to be solely focused on academia and immersing yourself into competition for grades, your experience will differ, as opposed to finding a place that has a healthy balance.

Connor H
    Participant
    I totally agree! Finding the right city is another huge thing as well, since that is where you will be staying for an elongated period of time and pursuing a degree after the 4 years as well.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    waffle
    Keymaster
    It’s subjective for everyone. Do a bit of reflecting on what you value–for me, I enjoy a space where I am able to grow/learn with the help of campus resources, and also a university that provides a “social fit”, not necessarily purely academic. I’d recommend looking at club, organizations, events, or mission statements to start. Hope that helps! 🙂

Aaron Guan
    Keymaster
    Interesting, I feel as if rankings should not be entirely ignored, but I do agree that finding a space that fits you is the top priority (as it would be your home for at least 4 years).

This post has received 1 vote up.
    Participant
    Hey everyone, I am a recent high school graduate that will be attending Pomona College in Claremont, CA next fall. I am happy to answer any questions about choosing the right school and making a list of schools to apply to.

Connor H
    Participant
    I had a question specific to Pomona and why you chose the university! In addition, with relation to the list of schools to apply to, how did you narrow the list down if you know there are only a certain amount of institutions right for you and they are considered under the “reach sector.”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.